NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  2/18/18 02:11 AM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Tryouts. What to expect? How to prepare? - [2 Replies | 520 Views]
soccerIQ123

Posts 6
Registered 12/28/17

Soccer Role:

posted on 1/1/18 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Tryouts. What to expect? How to prepare?

My kids will be U12 and under in the Spring, and I plan on having them tryout for one (maybe two) soccer clubs. Since there are three days of tryouts, what should I expect during tryouts? Scrimmage, 1v1, 2v2, etc?

What are coaches looking for? Speed, dribbles, passing, etc? Are there multiple coaches rating kids?

During tryouts, do ball huggers have a better chance of being picked? Or coaches have the time to look for more complete players?

Is it fair to assume, that a team will only have a couple of spots available for new players?

Just looking for other parents experiences.

Thank you!

Hokie

Posts 137
Registered 5/24/16

Soccer Role:

posted on 1/1/18 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the different clubs within the same area purposely have tryouts on the same days. And if a player is offered a spot on the 2nd or 3rd day of tryouts, the club expects the player to give a yes or no on the spot. So there is a slim chance that a player tries out for two different clubs.

For new players the coaches are not already familiar with, all the above apply. I think athletic and aggressive kids will often be given a good look even if not technically sound.

Tryouts typically just consist of game play....might be small sided play depending on the situation. So important that new players don't come in shy and reserved.

SoccerMomandWife

Posts 116
Registered 10/13/14
United States

Soccer Role:

posted on 1/2/18 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally posted by soccerIQ123

My kids will be U12 and under in the Spring, and I plan on having them tryout for one (maybe two) soccer clubs. Since there are three days of tryouts, what should I expect during tryouts? Scrimmage, 1v1, 2v2, etc?

What are coaches looking for? Speed, dribbles, passing, etc? Are there multiple coaches rating kids?

During tryouts, do ball huggers have a better chance of being picked? Or coaches have the time to look for more complete players?

Is it fair to assume, that a team will only have a couple of spots available for new players?

Just looking for other parents experiences.

Thank you!

I would probably not try out for more than one club as I assume that it will actually disadvantage your child who is not a known entity (because they won't see your child each day and because the coaches resent kids club shopping, sigh)

I wouldn't say that there are only a few spots available - my experience is that the coaches are not afraid to re-shuffle teams, particularly at the higher levels. The coaches tend to value forming the strongest team over keeping players together one year to the next.

My experience with TUSA tryouts is that the first day all kids are together and they do mainly drills (rotating in groups). On day two the kids get separated out by skill level and do small sided games. If there is a third day, it is usually to make a decision on the kids on the bubble.

If I were in your shoes and was going to be in the area during the spring, I would call a few clubs and see if you can watch some practices or games and/or have your child attend a practice to get a sense of "fit"

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0356312 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy