NC-Soccer Forum  Welcome Guest  9/18/14 08:46 PM
Login - Member List - FAQ - Portal - Rules
Topic Activity - Search - Stats - Attachments - Links - Calendar - Player Profiles - Buy Stuff
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
Author: Subject: Wake Futbol Club (Wake FC) - [420 Replies | 76826 Views]
beenaroundtheblock

Posts 15
Registered 5/4/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/15/12 at 08:21 PM
Surprise surprise!

Quote:
Originally posted by realist

Attended the tryouts last night. About 13 kids for the first session and about 25-30 for the second. No information handed out. Was told there would be an information chat at the end of the session with q and a's. Did not happen.

No specifics means there are no answers.

matchfit

Posts 427
Registered 6/3/10
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 07:14 AM
At this point, clubs are vying for kids to come tryout. Families are deciding which club to tryout as the dates pretty much all conflict. If more info is released from WFC, it should help then some families to decide, esp those on the fence.

So far there has been a lot of hype. If more info were to be released, then perhaps WFC can ride some sort of "media momentum" into next week and more kids to come out. But as we get to final stretch, I wonder how many families have already made up their minds about which clubs to go to.

x-man

Posts 144
Registered 2/21/12

Soccer Role:
Coach, parent, manager

posted on 5/16/12 at 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by matchfit

At this point, clubs are vying for kids to come tryout. Families are deciding which club to tryout as the dates pretty much all conflict. If more info is released from WFC, it should help then some families to decide, esp those on the fence.

So far there has been a lot of hype. If more info were to be released, then perhaps WFC can ride some sort of "media momentum" into next week and more kids to come out. But as we get to final stretch, I wonder how many families have already made up their minds about which clubs to go to.

I agree - seems like the vast majority of older kids try out next week or the week after. I would doubt many parents/kids are still trying to decide where to try out with only five days to go. It would seem difficult to dive head-first into a new club where so many questions remain, but I wish them good luck and I hope this thread continues to keep people posted on their progress.

Rip It Up

Posts 36
Registered 4/7/06
North Carolina

Soccer Role:
Rogue Cynic

posted on 5/16/12 at 08:48 AM
I'm guessing that they will form 1-2 teams each at U9 and U10, and these teams will comprise players of varying skill sets. The better players will be frustrated and move on next year, and the longevity/growth of the club will depend on how happy it can make the wannabe's left behind.

They may form an older team or two, and these teams will be made up in two ways: Type 1 will be an intact team lured from another club who fell for the smoke and mirrors. Type 2 will be made up of players who could not make classic somewhere else, and their parents want to be able to say they made classic.

If the smoke and mirrors can stay up long enough the new club will have a chance. The hype seems to be tailing off already, however.

AnonX

Posts 190
Registered 4/14/03

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 10:10 AM
The thing I don't really understand (and I *think* I've read the posts in this thread, but perhaps have missed some) is why the Club itself hasn't posted here with some "announcement" and introduction to itself.

If Bruce Talbot was part of their tryouts (was he/will he be?), it seems like that would be a selling point -- or at least worth advertising.

It will be interesting to watch evolve I suppose.

justanothersoccermom

Posts 11
Registered 5/16/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 11:45 AM
I think some might be surprised as to how things actually turn out for Wake FC after try-outs are over. I know of a number of U14 elite players, including my son, who will be trying out. Most of the players I know have either played with DB or DA in the past and had a positive experience and are looking forward to more of the same.

Also, from some personal discussions there are many parents/players out there who are still on the fence about what club their kids going to try out for. It is hard to find the right balance of location, club philosophy, administration, and a coach that fits your child's specific style. Each family has to figure out what their priorities are in a club and go from there. For us, the most important factor was great training/individual player skill development and advancement, which is what I think we will get at Wake FC.

Tecnico_CH17
a.k.a.
D Bizzle

Posts 198
Registered 10/21/05
New Zealand
Chapel Hill Area

Soccer Role:
Fanatic/Coach/Player

posted on 5/16/12 at 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Russian

Gopher - I'm glad your situation at TU has been a good one. If you were an unsatisfied customer I'm sure you would consider switching clubs. I have been at both clubs with multiple kids and (to me) the diffferences are startling. I probably should tone it down b/c TU doesn't suck to everyone. My resume is similar to yours and I am not affilated with any club other than as a customer. Maybe Tecnico is a coach at TU so he can probably give us some insight...

What insight would you like? I coach 1 team at a time. I've enjoyed all of my teams (players and families) during my 7 years. I get along with most of the coaches in the club well and think highly of most. Similar to all clubs within NC.

RayRay

Posts 252
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 12:46 PM
soccermom-was your kid at TUSA or TFC previously? I know the 97 TUSA Green team imploded last year as some really good players left to follow DB to FVAA or go to EWSA. Is it a lot of those kids?
justanothersoccermom

Posts 11
Registered 5/16/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 12:53 PM
No, we've never been at TFC or TUSA and I don't think any of the players I know were on the old 97 TUSA Green team.
matchfit

Posts 427
Registered 6/3/10
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by justanothersoccermom

I think some might be surprised as to how things actually turn out for Wake FC after try-outs are over. I know of a number of U14 elite players, including my son, who will be trying out. Most of the players I know have either played with DB or DA in the past and had a positive experience and are looking forward to more of the same.

Also, from some personal discussions there are many parents/players out there who are still on the fence about what club their kids going to try out for. It is hard to find the right balance of location, club philosophy, administration, and a coach that fits your child's specific style. Each family has to figure out what their priorities are in a club and go from there. For us, the most important factor was great training/individual player skill development and advancement, which is what I think we will get at Wake FC.

Welcome to the forum and your input, JASM. From the WFC's website, it has a great foundation in terms of the four coaches (so far), including the futsal component at SportHQ. They have good connections with other well-known coaches like Talbot & Clark. It's been discussed here that they will play US Club Soccer with local clubs (the number of clubs is unknown.) It looks like parents have to make a leap of faith here into the unknown: new club, no Classic play but new league with unknown opponent quality, unknown coaching list and practice fields, etc.

For some families that are sitting on the fence, I can only assume most are part of an existing team and is transferring to WFC. And thus, they may have more inside information than the general public via website. They probably know who their coach will be and the general location where they will practice. Most of us on this forum don't have this information. Wouldn't anyone be willing to share what they know so that other families can make more informed decisions and perhaps make that leap of faith into the unknown easier? If WakeFC can back it up, so much the better. But some families are probably operating on scarce info and any rumors is better than nothing so they can confirm with the club directly.

By the way, does anyone know if WFC can dual card players for NCYSA membership (maybe Challenge, not necessarily Classic) and then play in restricted tournaments or even participate in CASL Challenge (if TADL does not welcome them)?

[Edited on 5/16/12 by matchfit]

southerneuropean

Posts 22
Registered 5/10/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 01:46 PM
Well said. I suspect there will be many cases like this - i.e. players that know the coaches and/or established teams. There will also be another component - people who hear about it through several rec leagues that they apparently have a relationship with (I know parents in some different rec leagues that have gotten an email from their rec league talking about Wake FC and offering an info session). So I imagine they will have some "groomed" teams, some young teams. Perhaps a few filler teams at some ages - and by filler teams I don't mean anything negative, just older 2nd division type teams.

Like any club - from CASL to TFC to TUSA - you may get some good teams and some teams for players that were sold the dream of playing "classic"...that being said, being a small club, it will be interesting if they take a hard line and only have viable, decent teams. We'll just have to wait and see.

Again, as people have said, where ever you go or try out, get as much info as you can, make your own educated decision and realize that lots of people have their own baggage, their own priorities, their own issues. Do what is right for you and your player.

Quote:
Originally posted by justanothersoccermom

[Edited on 5/16/12 by southerneuropean]

KFIRST

Posts 37
Registered 5/5/07

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AnonX

The thing I don't really understand (and I *think* I've read the posts in this thread, but perhaps have missed some) is why the Club itself hasn't posted here with some "announcement" and introduction to itself.

If Bruce Talbot was part of their tryouts (was he/will he be?), it seems like that would be a selling point -- or at least worth advertising.

It will be interesting to watch evolve I suppose.

My guess is that this forum has hosted threads about two of the principals mentioned over the last several years regarding the circumstances/shenanigans surrounding their leaving a club(s) And much of it has not been flattering.

Not sure they would could withstand the potential criticism and inquiry.

I think it marvelous that someone of Mr. Talbot's character/stature would show up and facilitate a tryout for Wake FC. However the larger issue is whether this new club can generate the interest/longevity of enough membership to survive based upon/given the history of some of the key players.

Too much baggage and and very little in the way of a stable track record.....

AnonX

Posts 190
Registered 4/14/03

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 02:50 PM
I've had some experience with one of the names and it's been positive.

It takes a strong/lucky/special coach/leader to have get wholly positive reviews, so the fact that some here are negative to other's positives is not surprising.

We had one of the best experiences with my kid at U11. The next year I overheard someone discussing how bad their experiences was with the same coach/same age group. I was stunned. I spoke to a parent who had a child on this coaches team both years and they were very discouraged at what a difference it was between the 2 experiences. They said that a very outspoken family had moved into town, had 2 kids on the team, and brought their prior experiences (which were different than this club) up at every turn. It was this parent's opinion that these new parents sowed very negative seeds that crept into the whole team.

Ever since then, I've realized that even a good coach can have difficulty in certain settings.

Anyway, perhaps WFC has targeted certain age groups and staffed accordingly and it's not necessary to make themselves more public at this time. My prior post wasn't attempting to be negative, just wondering why there wasn't more outreach.

[Edited on 5/16/12 by AnonX]

matchfit

Posts 427
Registered 6/3/10
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 02:51 PM
WFC homepage now says they will play against XL Soccer World teams next yr. Isn't XL partnering up with TFC?
yurmama69

Posts 34
Registered 6/14/10
Usa

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 02:58 PM
Quote:

WFC homepage now says they will play against XL Soccer World teams next yr. Isn't XL partnering up with TFC?

Yes, XL is partnering with TFC.

Starwarsfanatic

Posts 4
Registered 5/14/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 03:07 PM
I went to the WakeFC tryouts last week, just to check things out. And yes, I did see Bruce Talbot there. I was amazed at the level of organization and professionalism. Even though fields and such aren't posted yet, they certainly do have their act together.

With so many kids trying out, there definitely is a need or want for change from their previous club. Why? I don't know. I didn't ask anyone. I am not one to gossip about others and their clubs. Figuring that everyone has a "great" ideal club, there is something out there for all types. To me, you waste far more energy being negative and gossipy, than you do finding positive things in your life to redirect your energy. Personally, I feel bad for those who just feel the need to bash anyone or any club. They must have deeper issues.

If you would like a positive experience for your child, and you haven't had one, you may want to look into WakeFC. Go to a tryout, talk to a coach, and see for yourself. It's free..why not?

Our child, boys U14, will be trying out. He is a classic player. To be honest, it seems they will have a strong team in this age division that will be able to compete on a high level. For us, it is all about our child developing. With futsal being integrated weekly, and the credited coaches, I feel my child will definitely benefit from their club.

Good luck to all in their choices. Just remember one year taking a risk out of your comfort zone, is not going to end their soccer.

[Edited on 5/16/12 by Starwarsfanatic]

RayRay

Posts 252
Registered 2/1/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 03:11 PM
starwars--you don't have to name teams but maybe identify the U14 league these kids played in this past year. You have my attention...
matchfit

Posts 427
Registered 6/3/10
North Carolina

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yurmama69

Quote:

Yes, XL is partnering with TFC.

What is the extent of the XL/TFC relationship? Is it more of XL going to TFC for outdoor and TFC going to XL for indoor?

I am guessing WFC and XL will be competing indoor then?!

I like the news though - perhaps someone heard me say to keep the media momentum going....

justanothersoccermom

Posts 11
Registered 5/16/12

Soccer Role:

posted on 5/16/12 at 04:39 PM
I can't speak for starwars, but my son played on an NCYSA Elite division team last season.

I don't have any details about the partnership with XL, but I would assume it could include outdoor play because XL has teams that play outdoors too.

I do know that Wake FC is partnering with other clubs and will play outdoor matches in and around the Triangle area. I don't know all of the details. A previous poster added that Wake FC will be playing SASL. I'm sure they will release all of that info when all of the specifics are worked out.

As far as coaches, I think they have all of the coaches lined up, but are waiting to see how the cards fall (which teams are formed and at what level) prior to making coaching assignments.

I've also been told they have fields in Holly Springs/Cary/Apex area (maybe others too, but I didn't inquire about those because I live in the Southern Wake area.) Was also told that they are trying to base practice field locations on team composition (fields in close proximity to the majority of the players), so that is likely one reason details are lacking about field locations. However, from the info posted on their website you know one practice location will be at Sports HQ.

Perhaps if you are interested in your child playing for Wake FC just give them a call to have your specific questions answered. That is what I did.

[Edited on 5/17/12 by justanothersoccermom]

LDSM
Astute Observer

Posts 103
Registered 5/20/02
Lithuania
Queen of Haw River

Soccer Role:
Registrar and mom of player-coach

posted on 5/16/12 at 05:50 PM
I love how the new members always show up during tryout time.

"Have at it, boys."

View User's Profile Email LDSM Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U LDSM   LDSM 's Aim
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

XMB 1.8 Partagium
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group © 2002
Modified by NC-Soccer.Net © 2002
Processed in 0.0578749 seconds, 17 queries

Our Privacy Policy